Curatolo Arini, Nero d'Avola, 2017

Curatolo Arini, Nero d'Avola, 2017
£ 14.95, 75 cl

Red Wine

100% Nero d`Avola

The vineyards are located in central Sicily, at about 500 metres above sea level. Deep ruby in colour, with purple hints and notes of violets and red cherries, plums and hints of white pepper.

Tasting notes

This wine is ruby red in colour with purple hints. On the nose, there are aromas of violets, red cherries, plums and a hint of white pepper. On the palate, it is medium-bodied with soft tannins. There are intense red fruit characters and delicate notes of spices on the long finish.

Vinyards

The vineyards are located in central Sicily, in the province of Caltanissetta, at about 500 metres above sea level. The altitude, together with the distance from the sea, provides excellent diurnal variation. The warm Sicilian sun is balanced with fresh, cool evenings, ensuring ideal conditions for ripening the grapes. The vines are planted south facing following the Vertical Trellis System on sandy and clay rich soil using Guyot pruning. Soils here are of medium texture and rich in limestone and clay.

Vinification

After de-stemming and maceration on the skins for a period of 12 days, the grapes were gently pressed and then vinified in temperature-controlled stainless-steel tanks at temperatures of 24°C for 15 days. 70% of the wine aged in stainless-steel tanks while the remaining 30% spent 10 months in 250 litre oak casks.

Producer

Established in 1875 by Vito Curatolo Arini, the winery is now run by the fifth generation of Curatolos, making it the oldest family-owned Marsala producing business. Their stunning label was designed by Ernesto Basile, a famous architect in Palermo in the latter part of the 19th century and is very much in the art deco style. The new range of wines under the Curatolo Arini label showcases a great expression of native Sicilian varieties.

View favourites

More from Curatolo Arini

Curatolo Arini, Marsala Fine
£ 12.95 75 cl, 17% abv

65% Grillo 25% Catarratto 10% Inzolia

Marsala, Sicily Italy

Curatolo Arini, Marsala Superiore Dolce
£ 15.45 75 cl, 18% abv

65% Grillo 25% Catarratto 10% Inzolia

Marsala, Sicily Italy

Curatolo Arini, Marsala Riserva, 2012
£ 20.45 75 cl, 18% abv

60% Grillo 30% Catarratto 10% Inzolia

Marsala, Sicily Italy

Curatolo Arini, Zibibbo, 2018
£ 19.45 75 cl, 12.5% abv

100% Zibibbo

Marsala, Sicily Italy

Curatolo Arini, Marsala Vergine Riserva, 1995
£ 42.45 75 cl, 19% abv

100% Grillo

Marsala, Sicily Italy